Equus 3030 Innova Diagnostic Code Reader for OBDII Vehicles

|

fat loss factor review


Equus 3030 Innova Diagnostic Code Reader for OBDII Vehicles Review.

 "Paid for itself instantly!" 2007-12-03
By R. Al-Kazily

Recently the "Check Engine" light illuminated on the dashboard of my 2002 Volkswagen Jetta TDI, and I used this as an excuse to purchase a code reader. I chose the Equus 3030 based on price, richness of user interface, and sophistication of the company's website (Innova).



I was not looking for a high-end tool, with battery-backed up memory and an internal list of code descriptions. Ideally, I will seldom use this tool, and using the manual (or even better, the company's website) to look up codes works fine for me. So I have to write down the code on a piece of paper, and take that to my computer, rather than the unit remembering it for me. Plus, no batteries to go dead while the tool sits in my toolbox.



I did appreciate the extra indicators on the LCD display, and the Green/Yellow/Red LEDs for quickly checking the status of the system. Other inexpensive code readers have a single line of text displayed, with very little else, and you need to scroll around to get information. With the Equus 3030, icons are displayed to indicate which tests have run, or have not returned good status. Also, a count of codes, pending status, and the status of the check engine light are all displayed along with the code itself.



The CD included with the unit is designed for Windows users. However, it contains the manual in PDF form, plus an instructional video that played just fine on my Mac. I cannot comment on anything else on the CD, but it's certainly not required to use the tool. And as I mentioned, code lookup can easily be done on the Innova website, with the URL printed on the front of the tool. I have the hope that they will keep their database of trouble codes up-to-date, which is often better than software on a CD.



I was able to plug the tool in to my car's OBDII connector, turn on the ignition switch (without starting the engine), press the "link" button, and in seconds had a code displayed. I noted the code, and looked through the user manual. Unfortunately, they only list common codes in the user manual, and didn't have my code. So I typed it in to the search box on their web page and found that I had a fault in my #2 cylinder glowplug. It was a simple test to verify that (check the resistance of each plug), and indeed that was the fault. I have glow plugs on order, and will replace them myself on the weekend.



This device is cheaper than even having a mechanic look at my car these days. Even if I wasn't able to fix the problem myself, I feel more confident going to a mechanic if I have a good idea of what the problem is. The price I spent was well worth it to me, and now I have the tool in case similar issues come up in the future. With today's car electronics, there is no other reasonable way to diagnose trouble.

 "Very good OBDII CAN compliant scanner for the money" 2006-10-14
By CS (Central Ohio)

I did my research and I don't think you'll find a better featured OBDII compliant code scanner for the money. Comes with complete instructions and a bonus CD with more information. It plugged right in and ran its diagnostics without any problems. This unit will probably pay for itself after one or two uses to check stored codes if your vehicle's MIL comes on. Even if you don't do the repairs yourself, you'll be in more of a position to know and understand what needs to be done when you take it in for service. Certainly less chance of being misled as well. Highly recommended. Obviously, before you buy, make sure you are buying it for use on OBDII compliant vehicle(s)-generally 1996 and later. Otherwise it won't do you any good.

 "Future Proof" 2008-09-25
By John (Albuquerque, NM)

This is what it is and does what it does. It is a basic bare bones code reader (doesn't give you any live telemetry data) but has the advantage of being future proof. This is one of the most affordable code readers that works with the older On-Board Diagnostics (OBDII) and the newer Controller-area network (CAN or CAN-bus). CAN has been in use by some car manufacturers since the 1990's but as of 2008 all new cars sold in the U.S. are required to use CAN. Both protocols use the same type of connector on most cars. Even if you have a car that is OBDII don't be tempted to save a few bucks on an OBDII only reader; your bound to have a CAN type car in the future.



It is well made, the LCD and status lights are highly readable and the controls are simple and easy to learn. Amazon is shipping the updated 3030a model that is virtually the same as the one pictured except for a slightly different button placement and a newer processor that apparently is more compatible with all car manufacturers.



 "Inexpensive OBDII/CAN code reader works as advertised" 2008-05-15
By S. Naimpally (Dallas, TX USA)

Modern (post 1996) cars provide on-board diagnostic information. All car manufacturers use the format because it was mandated to make it easy to perform emissions tests.



The Equus Innova 3030 code reader retreives diagnostic codes from your car's engine and displays the error code(s) on its display. The 3030 does not need batteries either because it is powered by your car's battery via the OBDII port. You can then look up these codes in the manual or on the Equus website to get details of the problem. These codes enable you to determine what is wrong with the car and then take corrective measures. For example, if the code indicates a cylinder misfire and the spark plugs were recently changed, the cylinder misfire may indicate a bad spark plug. You can then change the spark plug for that cylinder.



This device will also clear the check engine light (CEL). This is useful when you have taken corrective measures, such as replacing a defective part, and you want to determine if you have solved the problem. Replace the defective part, clear the CEL, and run the car. If the CEL does not come on again, the problem is fixed. If the CEL comes on again, then the problem probably lies elsewhere so you might have to try replacing a different part.



This device is also useful for going to the auto mechanic armed with some knoweldge of the problem and will save you the cost of your mechanic having to plug in his much more expensive OBDII reader just so that he can make the same diagnosis.



The manual says not to turn on the car but I kept getting an error message when I plugged in the 3030 to my 08 Mazda with just the key in at the ACC position. However, once I started the car it worked fine, retreiving the error codes, displaying them, and allowing me to clear them. So if you get an error following the procedure in the manual, try turning the car on after you plug it in.



All in all, this is an excellent diagnostic code reader for the money. Highly reccomended.

 "Easy to use and worth the price!" 2007-01-29
By R. Copenheaver (York, Pa.)

I just got it w/ the 2 day shipping option since my garage wanted me to spend a ton of money to find out which O2 sensor went bad (I have 4 on my F150!). I got it in the mail Fri night & used it Sat am. so I could get the truck fixed up for my next emmissions test on Monday. The unit came up w/ the same code as the garage and it also tells you if any other systems are in need of repair- It will NOT fix it for you, you will still need to be mechanically inclined to be able to actually fix the problem. I also used it to turn off the my dash 'engine check' light and also used it on my ex's jetta to view the MAF sensor problem & turn off her dash light as well.

It saved me a few hundred dollars... cause the troubleshooting time at the garage would have been $80 an hr or whatever it is! I'm happy w/ my purchase!


fat loss factor review