Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN OBD-II Scan Tool

|

fat loss factor review


Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN OBD-II Scan Tool Review.

 "Excellent tool, manual needs some editing (see note below)" 2009-05-21
By A. Dent (Minas Anor, GD)

First of all, I must state that the scan tool worked well for my cars. Once connected it will:



- display diagnostic codes

- erase ALL codes

- retrieve I/M readiness status

- display the VIN number on 2002 or newer vehicles

- rescan



The MS300 supports the OBD II or OBD2 (On-Board-Diagnostics II) system and it understands all OBD2 protocols that a car may use: PWM, VPW, KWP2000, ISO9041, EKWP2000 or CAN. Once the proper protocol is detected, the MS300 is ready to display whatever Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) the car computer's memory may be holding.



It should be noted that:



# it only retrieves codes already stored in the computer

# it does NOT provide any 'real-time' monitoring

# it is completely stand-alone and no Web-updates are possible

# it does not have printing capabilities

# it is powered through the car's own DLC (Data Link Connector)



The manual while not completely accurate does offer sufficient information to successfully connect and operate the device. It also includes a printed list of over 1000 generic Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) definitions. 8000 more manufacturer specific DTCs can be found on the CD with more information at the company's own Web site.



In my case, I was able to diagnose within minutes the source for the 'Service Engine Soon' warning on my dashboard:



P0442 - EVAP Emission Control System Leak (Small)



I erased the codes and, if the warning reappears, I will know EXACTLY what to tell the technicians.



Given that I purchased this during one of Amazon's lightning deals, the price was right and I feel that I am getting a lot of value out of this little tool. The manual's small shortcomings do not compel me to subtract a star so, it's a 5-star device for me. I am happy I ordered it.



_________________________________________



Note: Sep. 1, 2009



It does NOT work on a Honda Insight 2010. No matter how many times I try, all I get is a 'LINK ERROR'.

 "anybody can figure out how to use this gizmo" 2009-12-20
By R. ippolito (hershey, pa)

I had a check engine light on my Toyota Camry 2001. I did a little research and found out that a computer scanner called an OBD II can be used as a diagnostic tool for most cars on the road today (1996 and newer with some exceptions). I decided to buy this affordable scanner rather than pay a mechanic $70 to $100 (plus sales tax, shop fees, and all their other nickle and dime fees) to read the code. When I got the Autel MaxiScan delivered, I read the instructions a couple of times. Then, I went out to the car and looked for the place to plug it in, which was right under the steering wheel. I plugged it in, turned the ignition key half way, pressed a few buttons on the scanner, and presto! It read P0401, which means egr flow insufficient. As it turns out, that is a common problem with 2001 Toyota Camrys. I cleared the engine light with the scanner, and unfortunately the engine light came back about 125 miles later. The P0401 code also came back.

I still have to resolve the problem, but at least I am not at the mercy of a mechanical telling me what is wrong with my car, or charging me a nice chunk of change for that information. If you get a check engine light on your car, I recommend you get this scanner and read the code before you go to an auto mechanic.

 "Does the job" 2009-03-16
By P. Timmins

Good Reader... for the money

Does CAN

Reads generic and specific codes

2 line backlit display thats easy read

simple for novice users

Reads VINs

35 bucks

Clears your engine light

gives status of readiness monitors



And thats pretty much it..... Its basic and it works.



Just dont expect it to have any other features.







 "Well worth it!" 2009-04-03
By Edwin K. Shelburne (Lexington, Ky)

As a professional technician i found that sometimes i just needed a quick scan of the code/codes and the ability to clear. This does just that. And it is also the least expensive i have found. I highly recommend it.

 "Very Cheap, Very Good" 2009-02-25
By D. Mckay (Austin, Tx United States)

Needed a code reader but didn't have lots of money to toss into one. Some of the instructions are a little bit off from the actual use of the scanner but overall it does what it should and doesn't cost a fortune.


fat loss factor review